All good things...

All good things...

Friday, December 27, 2013

When, Not If

Hello Bloggers!

I have to retract a statement from my last post…

Sometimes, waiting does yield happiness.

Does waiting mean sitting on your butt and doing nothing? HELL NO. Waiting means making each day worthwhile until the day comes where you don't have to wait anymore! 

A few years ago, I met this boy. And that boy showed me the stars. And he made my laugh, even when I cried. And he made me feel like the person I always wanted to be. And then that boy asked me to wait while he was serving in Argentina for 2 years. And I was crazy enough to say yes. 

But while he was gone, I didn't wait for happiness. I worked for it. As ya'll know, I have had my difficulties, namely with my health. But I still strived for happiness every day. I laughed with my friends. I worked. I studied. I grew closer to those around me. I started to actually ENJOY studying at BYU. I took my mother's advice to heart. I needed to find my own happiness before I could find pure happiness with someone else. 

I really wasn't exaggerating about the nose thing...
And then the boy came home a man. And things were awkward and we were stupid. And I had to start doing things like dating other people (which was a fruitless effort. Dating in Provo…not the easiest thing to do folks!). Then I got sick of waiting for things to stop being stupid and awkward. I had to see for myself if the boy who showed me the stars was still in the man who finally came home.

So I hoped in my car and drove to his house for Thanksgiving. And we were still awkward, but less stupid. And then he stuck his finger up my nose and that was that! I waited for two years. And I could've kept on waiting for him. But sometimes bloggers, we have to be the ones to leap. We have to get off our butts and stop waiting! And let me tell you, it was terrifying. But sometimes, you realize that you have to leap for the people you love. In our case, we discovered that we were being stupid and awkward for stupid and awkward reasons. Then all of a sudden, all that waiting and finding my own happiness that I did turned into something real. Something tangible. His name is Devin. I got my best friend and man back. And I couldn't be happier.

Reunited at long last!
Am I still sick? Yes. Do I know exactly where I will be in a few months? No. Do I have all the answers? No. But I am happy. For the first time in a long time, I finally have hope that everything will be ok. I am so blessed to have that peace and comfort, and I am so blessed to be surrounded by so many amazing people. I am especially grateful that Devin was never actually far away, even when we were being stupid and awkward. There are some people you never stop caring about! Also, my mother gets to say 'I told you so' for the millionth time. She's always right. I hope to be as wise as her one day!

Yes, this is a sappy post. And for those of you who know me know that this isn't like me at all. What can I say, he makes me sappy cause I am so happy all the time! 

So bloggers, let's get ready for the new year and try to make happiness the ultimate goal. It's easier said than done, and I know that. But even when you are in your darkest moments, cling to hope. Happiness is never far away. We can wait for our happiness, but we can work for it too.

Remember bloggers…

All good things come to those who WORK while WAITING. 

P.S.
This is a really good song and about sums it all up. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3wEzLp9do

2 comments:

  1. THIS post is not sappy....it is truth!! I LOVE it....it is actually making me tear up!! You lil' stinker!! TOLD ya so....lol!!! You deserve every bit of happiness....I have been wondering about the outcome of your trip and I am thrilled to get the update!! Keep plugging along....love you!! OX Miss A THANKS FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy. This made my day. Your mom is smart, and obviously so are you. xo

    ReplyDelete