All good things...

All good things...

Saturday, March 17, 2012

And Today I Remembered Why I Never Wanted to Be a Cougar...

Hello bloggers! First of all, let me tell ya'll that I do love going to Brigham Young University. I do. However...I do not claim being a BYU fan. I can't do it. And today, I remembered why I never wanted to be a BYU Cougar in the first place. Let me tell ya'll my tragic story.

So I arrive at the game. Alone. No one wanted to go with me. This is the life of a southerner in Utah. No one appreciates baseball quite like I do. This is a fact that I can accept. So by going alone, this means that I have to sit alone. Also acceptable. So I walk up and find a completely empty row, save one guy. Well, it is BYU, so I assumed he had friends or family coming to join him. So I put my hand on a seat two seats away from him and ask if it is saved. He looks at me and with the most arrogant tone he can muster says, "yes, this seat is saved for my WIFE". And then he pointedly looked at me. Ok, hold on. I just asked for a seat, not for a date. I could care LESS if he was married. I just wanted somewhere to sit. But Mr. Hot Shot thought he was just the sexiest beast alive, and therefore assumed that I was trying to flirt with him. Ridiculous. Attention boys at BYU: just because some of us don't have rings on our fingers, doesn't mean we aren't taken. And even if we aren't taken, doesn't meant that we are even looking! So get off your high horse, pull the stick out of your butt, look in a mirror, or swallow your own face, because the egos and rude behavior is completely unnecessary and uncalled for. I was annoyed before I even took my seat. After I sat down, he just exuded annoyance because I actually sat down. But I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of finding another seat and letting him think he was being hit on. Oh no. He was going to have to deal with my cold shoulder for the game. The best part was that for a few innings, I was convinced that he had lied and that there was no wife coming. But she eventually showed up. And then this guy proceeded to update her on what she had missed. I love when people who know nothing about baseball try to talk about baseball. They just sound ridiculous. And it wasn't just him who wasn't afraid to blab their ignorance to the world. The rest of the student section wasn't much wiser. 

Here are a few things that annoy me at BYU games:
1. People don't understand baseball.
2. People doing chants like when the boys were 8 playing baseball. "Three up, three down, no one gets around, I said three up, three down, no one gets around...". Yeah. They know how to play the game. They don't need us to chant it for them.
3. People bate and call out rude comments to the opponent's pitcher and catcher. Some things are just not necessary to say. Have respect for the game and the opposing team. Seriously. I don't see you out there on the field, so can it!
4. A foul ball is a foul ball. Just because the ball connects with the bat doesn't mean it is going anywhere. Nothing phenomenal happened. The level of skill being played is mediocre. So stop freaking out about every little thing.

Nothing special happened in this game. It was really mediocre. BYU was playing Seattle. Seattle is just like BYU in that they can't play until June because of bad weather (ok, June may be an exaggeration, but most teams in the south get much longer playing time). Most of the outs were pop ups to the outfields. If a runner did get on base, he was stranded. There was one hit to the BYU pitcher where he fielded it to the first baseman and got an out. You would've thought it was a triple play though, based on the reaction of the stands. My personal favorite was when the center fielder, short stop, and second baseman, all ran in for a pop up, and even though the ball was going towards the center fielder's glove, no one bothered to call it, so they all were just staring at it. Right before the ball could hit the ground, the short stop slid in and caught it. It was a nice catch. But I am not going to go crazy about a lack of communication. I'm sorry. But that was a routine play that I have seen my brother and his teammates execute for years. And he is 14. College-level players should be able to communicate with each other. Now, Seattle was just as guilty. BYU got to first on a bunt only because the catcher and pitcher couldn't communicate with each other. But the comments made by the BYU student section to the Seattle catcher was uncalled for. I understand that it is a competitive sporting event, but there is a certain etiquette to be followed. In the end, BYU lost 2-1, stranding a runner on third. Not a very impressive game. Nothing exciting happened. I wasn't on the edge of my seat with nervous excitement for BYU. Instead, I was on the edge of my seat with annoyance. I ended up watching the last 2 innings in the aisle, away from the crowd. BYU fans have nothing to be so riled up about. BYU will never make it to Omaha. And not just that, but these fans get all worked up about a game they don't even understand. BYU fans are more obnoxious than Texas fans. And coming from me, that is saying something.

So needless to say, I am home now watching the second game on BYUtv. It is much better from the comfort of my own home, with roommates who know about baseball and without boys who think they are the hottest thing since global warming. I love baseball. I love BYU. I do not love BYU fans. I hope none of ya'll judge me for their bad behavior and ignorance. 

So always remember....

All good things come to those who UNDERSTAND baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment