All good things...

All good things...

Friday, February 17, 2012

Costco Friday and the Number 34

Hello Bloggers! Happy Friday! First of all, I must tell you the most exciting news of the day! My sister, got into Brigham Young University!!! Not surprising. She got a 34 on the ACT without even cracking a book. But still, it always feels good to finally get that acceptance letter! I am so happy! Being out here in Utah can be lonely, and I can't wait to have Carlie out here with me. I get my running partner back!!!! She is going to study engineering (I think the verdict is still out on which one she wants to pursue) and she is going to rock this planet. I am just so happy that she decided to come here. Sorry Georgia Tech, my baby sister is going to come show these Utards what she can do! Congratulations Carlie!

So I posted this picture because it pertains to both stories I have to tell. On the left is Carlie. Soon she will be the one wearing the graduation cap! So exciting! In the middle is my Nonno. He passed away over a year ago, and not a day goes by where I don't think about him. So every Friday, I go to Costco. I usually go alone, and I am perfectly content with that fact. But every Friday I go and get a Costco hotdog. $1.62 for a hotdog and a drink! Perfect meal for a college student. I think people think I am weird for loving Costco so much, but let me tell ya'll why. Towards the end of his life, Nonno had a hard time walking very far, and he had a few fainting spells, so driving was out of the question. My mom and I would go up to Virginia (and usually some combination of my siblings as well) and while my mom took my Nonna out to do something fun, I would sit with my Nonno. Usually we just watched westerns, or NCIS. I think he turned on NCIS mostly for my benefit, even though I actually came to love watching westerns. But anyways. We would sit in the basement together, both of us sleeping on and off, and just enjoying each others company. Nonno was a character. He would hoist himself out of his recliner, shuffle to the kitchen, steal a few cookies from the cookie jar, shuffle back to the family room, hand me a cookie, and sit down like nothing happened. He loved his cookies. I ate so many cookies the summer before he died, because I stayed with him for over 2 weeks. That's a lot of cookies. But my favorite days were when he would lean over to me and go, "Hey Warden...you want to break me out of here and go get a hotdog?". I would just laugh. It was always good to see that mischievous look on his face, because it almost made me forget that he was sick. So I would help him out of his chair, get his shoes, and grab the keys. Of course, I would always shoot my mom a text telling her where we were going, but I would play along with him and let him think that we were going rouge. So we would go to Costco. He would go sit down at one of the tables, and I would get our hotdogs. Ketchup on mine, and ketchup, mustard, and onions on his. Then we would sit and enjoy our hotdogs and diet coke. So now every Friday, I go to Costco and I get myself a hotdog and a diet coke in memory of my Nonno. It isn't much, but I like to think it's because I am moving on. I know he is happier in Heaven. But he meant a lot to me, and this is how I keep his memory close to me. I love him. And my Costco hotdogs :).

So always remember....

All good things...come to those who REMEMBER.

No comments:

Post a Comment